Thursday, September 22, 2011

26 weeks

And fall is in the air.

I've been struggling a little bit with flashbacks and feelings of deja vu. It's completely normal, really. 26 weeks. I still can't really believe it, deep down inside. I feel different. I feel calm. But I still don't feel "comfortable" with the pregnancy.

It's funny. I have another OB appointment next week (I'll be seen every two weeks now until delivery) and I don't know what questions I should be asking. I've never been to this point in a pregnancy when I wasn't in a hospital. I don't know what to expect. Am I really here?



One look in the mirror reminds me that, yup, I am really here. I'm actually using those maternity clothes I was loaned, and those few I purchased with Elisa's pregnancy. The muscle relaxers the doc gave me to sleep have had the side effect of making my contractions much less frequent, which has greatly improved my anxiety. I won't say it's nothing, but I can handle only feeling a contraction 2 maybe 3 times a day instead of every 2 hours or so.

I could go on about how odd this "milestone" is for me right now. It's so hard to imagine that this was almost the beginning of the end. When right now, the end seems so far off in the distant future.


The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. He may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other. He's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when he's born and takes that first gulp of air. And he's continuing to put on baby fat. He now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel. If you're having a boy, his testicles are beginning to descend into his scrotum — a trip that will take about two to three days.


Wow, Elisa had a lb and an inch on this anticipated weight. I know this one is much bigger than what it's saying already thanks to the gestational diabetes. I weigh now as much as I did at the end of Elisa's pregnancy. Most likely thanks to the GD. I just hope I can get through the next 14 weeks and still have all the weight fall off upon delivery like it did with her. Andrew, bless him, tells me it looks like it's all baby weight. He sure knows the right things to say at times. :)

Speaking of Elisa.


(Elisa decided to read my pregnancy book sitting in the infant car carrier.)

She is full on into the development of the "terrible twos." Tantrums left and right. Definitely an independent child for the most part. She wants what she wants and if she doesn't get it, she sure lets us know. She also has been sick for the last two weeks with another ear infection. I think her molars are coming in as well, which doesn't help any. But she is also a talker and has begun to string three words together regularly. Pretty soon we will be able to hold conversations with her. She understands requests and orders and usually will follow. There are times, of course, when she decides she just doesn't want to do that (like pick up her toys before bath time) and she acts like she doesn't hear us. Oh the joys. But every time I hold her and breathe in her hair, I am reminded of what a miracle she is and just how much I love her.

Life is changing. So quickly. It feels like I can't keep up. I'm in limbo. I don't know what to expect. We are entering the "unknown." These next 13 weeks, really, will be a learning experience. This little one will be here anytime in the next 11-13 weeks. A little over 2 months.

2 months.

Are we ready? I guess we'll see.

No comments: