Thursday, October 6, 2011

Third Trimester

And we made it. The third trimester.

I've had trouble coming up with a really cute blog for this one. I think in some ways I'm living in a sense of unreality. Can't believe I'm really here. I've said it before. I'll probably continue to say it. So I thought I'd find some funny quotes on the third trimester, but all I found was this question and answer session.

Q. Since I became pregnant, my breasts, rear-end, and even my feet have grown. Is there anything that gets smaller during pregnancy?
A. Yes, your bladder.

Q. What is the most common pregnancy craving?
A. For men to be the ones who get pregnant.

Q. What is the most reliable method to determine a baby's sex?
A. Childbirth.

Q. The more pregnant I get, the more often strangers smile at me. Why?
A. 'Cause you're fatter than they are.

It made me chuckle at a time I really needed a laugh. There were many more but these were the most tame and the ones I was most comfortable posting.

At 28 weeks:

By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

4 more weeks, the lungs are developed. 6 more weeks, suck, swallow, breathe is developed.

My doctors first goal for me is 30 weeks. After 30 weeks I can deliver with her practice at her hospital. Before 30 weeks I'll have to be transferred to a different hospital with a higher level NICU. So far...that's 2 weeks away. The fFN gets me to 28 & 4. They held Elisa off for 3 weeks...if something were to happen I hope they can hold this one off just as long. Since I've still been having frequent contractions, but with no pattern, I told my doc's nurse today that I do want to speak with her about tocalytics next week. I can't handle the contractions, even though they are braxton hicks and from what I'm hearing from friends are normal for this stage in the pregnancy. Tell that to one who delivered due to UNDETERMINED pre-term labor. How am I supposed to know that THIS contraction is non-productive but the next one may be? So I'd rather not have any at all, if I can avoid it.

And now, here's little miss.



She's so smart she scares me sometimes. She can already pick out letters, numbers and colors. Of course it's only at the point that she can tell that a 1 is a number and A is a letter but may or may not actually give you the right letter. She has at times properly picked out "blue" and "red" but I've noticed her default choice for the color is "blue" especially if she doesn't know the color. She enjoys counting her way down the stairs, but instead of repeating 1, 2, 3 over and over it's 8, 9, 10. She routinely breaks out into the alphabet song, but prefers "Q, R, S, T, U, V Now I know my abc's!" She gave me her first 4 word sentence last weekend. "I'll go get it!"

Her personality comes in leaps and bounds. Just the other night, she was fighting going to sleep, so I told her to close her eyes and to go to sleep. The stinker clenches her eyes shut just enough they look like they are shut but you can tell she's peering at me from underneath the slit and she has the BIGGEST grin on her face behind that pacifier. Took every ounce of me not to laugh. I did smile though, so my "go to sleep" reprimand probably lacked heat.

She is a never ending challenge.



But what a wonderful challenge.

No comments: