Thursday, October 13, 2011

29 weeks and counting...

At 29 weeks:

Your baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. To meet his increasing nutritional demands, you'll need plenty of protein, vitamins C, folic acid, and iron. And because his bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day.

Sadly, I don't need Babycenter to tell me what my baby looks like at 29 weeks. It's something I know from personal experience.



I can easily imagine what this one must look like now. Only it's probably bigger thanks to the GD. Maybe even venturing on the 3lb mark, with how close Elisa was to that three pound mark. And, well, Elisa as right on 15 inches at 29 weeks so it's easy enough to imagine this one is as well.

Odd to think about as I feel this one squirm in me. But I won't go down that road right now. Right now, I'm just going to still take it day by day. Because, to be honest, I'm struggling a bit with anxiety. Tomorrow will be an interesting day.

At this weeks regular OB appointment I learned a few things. 1. The recent contractions I've been experiencing are not considered labor, so I don't have to worry (yet) about having to deliver possibly before 36 weeks. In fact, my doc said I can schedule my c-section for 39 weeks and if I end up needing it before then, well, it happens before then. 2. I'm apparently a "pre-term contractor." Not entirely sure what that phrase means but I'm taking it to mean my body just likes to have contractions. Since I've been having them for 10 weeks now and as I get bigger, the more I get. I've had several bouts of 9-10 an hour. Just LOVELY. And 3. They won't try to stop labor after 34 weeks. Now I'm not entirely happy about that one. I'd want them to fight to keep this baby cooking until term. I was so surprised I didn't think to ask why. Hopefully I'll remember next time. But information I've received from friends seems to indicate that it's either because of the classic cut of my section or that it's more dangerous for baby to stop labor at 34 weeks than to allow it to just happen.

Either way, I'm hoping for 10 more weeks. Just 10 more weeks. That's not too much to ask is it?

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I like the and counting part and totally understand your anxiety. None of mine were as early as Elisa but with my third preemie I really had a lot of anxiety.

They said they would not stop labor with any of mine after 34 weeks. With all 4 I had preterm contractions and labor. With my 37 weeker I was really surprise they were not going to stop it after 34 weeks and she was my first. With my second they tried to stop labor until 34 weeks but when my water broke at 33 weeks there was no stopping her and it was a good thing because she really needed to come then because just before she was born there was a placental abruption. After that I never argued with them talking about not stopping labor after 34 weeks and I was always monitored closely when I started having contractions to make sure nothing else was wrong. So even as a first time mom and never having to have a c-section with any of my kids the perinatologists always said we wouldn't stop labor after 34 weeks and you have the classic c-section scar that is another reason why they probably wouldn't stop it at that point. My 34 weeker did fantastically though and was set to go home 18 days after he was born until he got RSV in the NICU (started showing signs of it the night before he was supposed to go home) and had to stay 10 more days.