Thursday, July 14, 2011

16 weeks & tummy bug?

Another week down, another shot down. And yes, I did again experience dizziness, confusion and exhaustion immediately following and for most of the rest of the day. Dehydration? Impossible. I've drank pretty close to a gallon of water a day since they told me last week the symptoms were from dehydration. So after complaining about it again, a preemie mom friend of mine googled and let's just see what she found:


http://www.livestrong.com/article/240436-progesterone-supplement-side-effects/


Most interesting was the 4th paragraph.

"Central Nervous System Side Effects

Headaches affect around 31 percent of women taking progesterone supplements, and dizziness affects 15 percent of women. Progesterone can cause tiredness or severe drowsiness. Progesterone can act like a brain anesthetic, producing sedating and hypnotic effects, according to Women's Health Resource. In high doses, progesterone can reduce epileptic seizures and reduce preterm labor, Mood swings, irritability, anxiety, forgetfulness and impaired concentration and insomnia can also occur."

Really? Dizziness affects 15%? Mood swings? Irritability? Anxiety? Impaired concentration? Insomnia? Hello, you should put my photo next to this. Ever since I received that first shot, I've noticed the insomnia, irritability. Increased anxiety (ie FLASHBACKS). Headaches.

There are more side effects but these really are the main ones I've been dealing with. Just cracked me up, I don't think the nurse I called actually even really asked. They just assumed the symptoms were dehydration. The good news is that these will fade as my body gets used to the increased hormone.

Here's the 16 week update:
Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.

Not much more to say than that on this baby. Random cravings, and regular parties are commencing. One woke me up at 4am. Must say my initial annoyance at being woken up that early went away very fast when I realized it was because I was getting the snot kicked out of me. :)

And on to the tummy bug. Yup. Another one. At least this child only seems to get tummy bugs and ear infections. Woke up this morning to a nice present in her crib. Unfortunately, Daddy has it to, so that leaves me to care for both. Going rather well since both of them are spending the day sleeping lol! Just hope this goes by fast. I can't afford to get sick. *sigh*

1 comment:

The Neal Family said...

Ahh! I've been so out of it lately that I haven't checked blogs or FB as regularly as normal. I didn't even know you were pregnant! Congratulations, I am SOOOOOO happy for you. I will start praying today that this one goes wonderfully. Love and hugs!!