Thursday, August 4, 2011

19 weeks

And if you consider 37 weeks as "term" I'm "halfway" there. But really, one more week is half way. Scary to think that 10 weeks from now, Elisa was here. 7 week from now I was in the hospital. Kinda bothers me that I see a number and this is the first thoughts that come into my mind. BUT my "half-baked" baby is doing amazing.



My feisty girl has quite the personality. But she never ceases to amaze me.

Her "big girl" room is complete and she's taken several naps in there. Much to my surprise she has handled this change rather well. For the most part, she's going right down for her nap when I put her down awake in her bed. Only once did she fight the nap, but spent about 30 minutes playing in her bed with her care bears before finally dozing off at the end. I was very happy that she managed to stay in the bed for her play. I hope the rest of our transition continues to go so well so I can get to work on turning the nursery back into a newborn room. Crazy how much has changed in that room the last 2 years.

Now, onto Shrimp #2. As I posted on Tuesday, we had the big anatomy ultrasound and all looks good. We are 19 weeks today. Another item of possible interest is that my cervix measured 5.4 cm! According to my googling, they want it to be between 2.5 and 5 cm. Now, I'm not worried about it being too long. After all...what could too long mean when the longer the cervix is the further away I am from laboring right? At least that's what I'm telling myself lol. Just made me wonder if my body isn't trying to "make up" for failing me with Elisa and going to go the extra mile this time. Watch. I'll go the full 39 weeks lol. Oh darn.

Your baby's sensory development is exploding! Her brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that she may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to her, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.

Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a large heirloom tomato. Her arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of her body now. Her kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on her scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on her skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid.


So here's to at least 20 more weeks. I take my last trip of the pregnancy next week. Kinda strange to think I'll be home for the next 6-7 months!!

No comments: