Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pricey drug that prevents preterm delivery angers patients and doctors - NBCActionNews.com - Kansas City

Pricey drug that prevents preterm delivery angers patients and doctors - NBCActionNews.com - Kansas City

I saw this last night on the 10 pm news. I wish I wouldn't have because it made falling asleep very difficult.

What angered me? Well, KV Pharma's justification for the price hike. I quote from the story, "The manufacturer says the cost is justified to avoid the mental and physical disabilities linked to prematurity and promises that every woman who needs the drug will get it through the company's patient assistance program."

Nothing justifies a price hike of this nature. When a drug is already developed and available. This, to me, says one thing. That KV Pharma is taking advantage of scared mothers and innocent babies in an attempt to line their pockets. Because they figure, rightly so, that a mother in imminent danger of delivering prematurely will do anything humanly possible to avoid delivering at that moment. Shoot. I would have hung upside down by my toenails for the remaining 14 weeks of my pregnancy if that would have kept her in.

That statement is not a justification for a price increase. It is a justification for developing and bringing a drug of that nature to market. Since KV Pharma did NEITHER, it is a slap in the face to me.

No comments: