Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Week 16

So it's been a quiet week (thank goodness!). So not really much to report. I've already said we have names determined, so now we just need Shrimp to make an appearance so we can find out which name he/she will get. It's week 16 so that means I am 4 weeks away from the half way mark, which in and of itself is frightening. I've been having problems sleeping. I either wake up around midnight to 1 am with extreme back pain and have to walk around to loosen the muscles up or just can't settle down to sleep. Last night was actually a decent night, but I woke up groggy and have never quite gotten my mind around to functioning with all cylinders. Now all I can think about is bed but I know that's a long time coming.

I've tried several things with my back since I'm loathe to call my doctor about it. I've put a pillow underneath where I sleep on the bed to cushion my hips and stretch the spine when I am on my back. And recently, I folded up my winter blanket on my side of the bed and created some extra cushioning there.

Also, I've finally found some maternity jeans that don't make me look like I'm one size from my waist down. I'm very picky about my clothes and all I was finding was hideous. Lucked into these at Penny's of all places. Price wasn't too bad. So hopefully other than a few winter shirts, I'm done with the maternity shopping and will make do with t-shirts and sweatshirts for the most part.

Ok. So here's Shrimp at 16 weeks:

Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4.5 inches long (head to rump) and 3.5 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot of happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.

No comments: