Tuesday, December 14, 2010

NICU Release Day



This is the day she became "mine" to care for.

This is the day she "came home"

And what to me, feels like her real "birthday."

I remember it so vividly. Going to bed that night, not knowing for sure if she was to come home. She still had to pass her car seat test. Our night primary nurse told me she'd do it around midnight so when I woke for my 3am pump I could call for the results. So I did, only to find out the car seat we had wouldn't work for her, so she was waiting for the "borrowed" car seat. I woke at 6 am to let my work know what may be coming. Called after 8 am and shift change to hear the best words ever. "She passed. You'd better get a car seat she can go home in!" The scramble to get up, get dressed, find a Wal-mart and a car seat that met the requirements. The mad dash to the hospital. Those final pictures, saying good bye to what had been our home for 6 weeks.




So, welcome to the "other world" baby. I'm so glad you are here.

No comments: