Thursday, July 7, 2011

15 weeks and p17

Let me say OUCH!

The actual shot wasn't so bad, but the after effects were. I'm STILL sore today. My back seized up after a while and sleeping was difficult. But oh well, it is ALL worth it for that full term baby in December.

And it was rather amusing. The nurse giving me the shot was asking about the co-pay, etc for the shot and how much it cost. I told her and she got all excited. Handed me a form from Ther-RX saying they could help me out with the costs and probably get me the shot for free! Poor girl didn't realize who Ther-RX was. When I asked her if that was Makena, she said yes and the rep had just been there. I explained to her the drama around Makena and how I would NOT be giving any of my money or business to that company lol. She understood entirely and entirely dropped it.

I did also have another effect that I thought was a side effect of the medication. After the shot I became extremely tired, confused and dizzy. I mean I was typing gibberish, even though the words in my mind were coming out right and couldn't figure out why the words looked funny on the screen. Turns out, I was dehydrated. Dehydrated!? How much freaking water do I need to drink to stay hydrated?

So we have made it to 15 weeks. And I do think I've felt kicking already! Seems odd with it being sooo late until I felt it with Elisa. I'm hoping this means the placenta is not anterior and I'll get loads of movement from this baby.

Development at 15 weeks:
Your growing baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). She's busy moving amniotic fluid through her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop. Her legs are growing longer than her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs. Although her eyelids are still fused shut, she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, she's likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but she is forming taste buds. Finally, if you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby's a boy or a girl! (Don't be too disappointed if it remains a mystery, though. Nailing down your baby's sex depends on the clarity of the picture and on your baby's position. He or she may be modestly curled up or turned in such a way as to "hide the goods.")

In other news, Elisa has definitely learned manipulation. She is genuinely terrified of thunder. This I do not doubt. Her reaction is to true to it and every time. If you leave her to try to work through it herself, it escalates her panic. So it's easier to just pick her up and comfort her. I'm sure she'll out grow it in due time.

However...she seems to have made the connection between mommy and daddy think she's scared so they will pick me up. So last night, she didn't want to sleep yet. She sat in her crib screaming at the top of her lungs (Thunder! Thunder!) in between gut wrenching sobs. It wasn't thundering. It wasn't even cloudy....I went in to settle her back down and she tried desperately to get out of the crib. Grabbed onto my neck with a death grip that it took a bit to untangle and lay her back down, to where she tried to get back up again. This went on for 30 minutes....stubborn butt.

No comments: